Latin Family: Cicer arietinum
Plant Family: Fabaceae
Other Names: Legume, Egyptian Pea, Chana, Bengal Gram and Garbanzo.
Description: Organic Chickpeas add protein, fibre and a vibrant mix of vitamins and minerals to all kinds of recipes. We don’t like to have favourites but when it comes to chickpeas, we can’t help it! After all they are the main ingredient in hummus, falafel AND vegan burgers. Even the water used to soak Chickpeas when whipped up makes a great egg white replacement when baking… what can’t these legumes do?!
N.B. Hummus? You really must!
Chickpeas are a popular legume and a fantastic protein source for vegans and vegetarians. They are a nutrient rich food that is high in fibre, protein and folate and a healthy source of natural vitamins and minerals such as iron.
Chickpeas are an important ingredient in Indian and Middle Eastern Cuisine for their versatility and ability to absorb flavours in curries and dips.
Benefits of Organic Chickpeas
- High in protein
- Rich source of fibre
- Low in fat
- Low in sugar
- Cheap protein source
- Long shelf life
- Easy to prepare
- Can be used in sweet and savoury recipes
How to prepare chickpeas
- Soak in water overnight
- Drain and rinse
- Add to a pan
- Cover with water and boil for 20-25 minutes for firmer beans of 40-45 minutes for softer beans (depending on how you plan to use them)
- To know whether your chickpeas are cooked, cut one in half. If they are cooked they will be soft and appear yellow the whole way through. If the chickpeas are not cooked, the centre will appear white and starchy. If that is the case then boil for 5 minutes more and check again.
Ways to enjoy chickpeas
There are many ways to enjoy this popular ingredient in your diet. Here are a few ideas to get you started;
- Roast with warming spices and enjoy as a go-to healthy snack
- Use to make chana masala, an Indian side dish that is popular with vegans
- Add to curries for added protein and texture
- Use to make hummus and dip vegetable crudites
- Try making falafels and enjoy as a delicious, protein source in salads
- Sprinkle on salads
- Make you own chickpea flour and use in an array of baking recipes
Ingredients: Organic Chickpeas
All dried goods are currently delivered in paper bags. Please add to the delivery notes if you already have jars and we will fill them on delivery. (see jar label for weights and order a smidge less just in case)
|Typical values||per 100g|
|of which saturates||Nil
|of which sugars||2.6g
All our products are kept in airtight jars however we also keep nuts (including peanuts), seeds, cereals, soya & products containing gluten in our stockroom and care should be taken if you have any allergies